August may be commonly referred to as the dog days of summer but did you know it’s full of friendship card giving holidays?
Here are some of the holidays:
- National Girlfriend’s Day: August 1st
- National Friendship Day: August 4th
- National Friend Week: the third week of August (Aug 19-25th)
- Be Kind to Humankind Week: the fourth week of August (Aug 26-31)
Which means August is the perfect time to send snail mail to celebrate your friendships.
With these dates in mind, I’m hosting a MINI August #sendcardsspreadlove challenge during the first week of August (4-10th). Let’s tell our girlfriends & friends how much we love AND appreciate them! You in?
All you have to do to enter to win is:
- Follow AND tag me on social media @prettybypost (Instagram, Facebook)
- Share your card(s) – each different card counts as an entry
- Add the #sendcardsspreadlove and/or #fierceloyalthy hashtags so I can find you
*A random winner will be selected & notified via DM on Aug 11th.
Here’s some tips on getting organized & resources on what to write:
To make it easy to send out cards, I have a simple letter writing kit, because I need my focus to be on writing and not scrambling at the last minute to find cards, stamps, a pen and other essentials.
Set up your letter writing kit:
1. Stock up on cards
One of the best things (ok, the best thing) of owning Pretty by Post® is having access to a fabulous selection of cards. If you need cards, here are some options:
- Schedule time to run to your fave, local paper store to pick some up (Paper Source is my go to)
- Order cards online from Etsy or indie-designed businesses or from Pretty by Post’s single purchase collections – we have 3 perfectcurated collections ready for you: Girls Are Smart, Girl Boss Box Notes, collection & Who We Are Collection. OR check out any of our past single curated collections.)
- Put those crafty skills to use & hand make some cards – we have great DIY tutorials here, here, here & here.
3. Grab some pens. No letter writing kit would be complete without your favorite pens or other writing tools. A few of my ride or die pens include: Staedtler Triplus Fineliner and Sugar Paper’s Signature Pen.
4. Make sure you have addresses. If you’re a paper lover then you’ll want a physical address book and if you’re a digital person, then make sure your contacts are all up-to-date.
BONUS items. If you’re crafty or creative, then you could also add washi tape, wax seals (check out our tutorial here) hand lettering tools (we have an awesome hand lettering tutorial here), rubber stamps, stickers, etc.
Resources You May Find Helpful:
- Big List of Reasons to Send Cards
- Resources on What to Write
- Craft the Perfect Thank You Note
- Quick & Easy Tips for Writing Notes
- Craft the Perfect Just Because Card
- Training regimen to help aspiring snail mail superstars sail over the obstacles of sending cards
Letter Writing Inspiration
- Alexandra Franzen’s post on the urgency of letting someone you know how much they mean to you AND the power of a letter to change a life.
- Naomi Hattaway’s post sharing how empathy muscles are strengthened through letter writing
- Skylar Liberty Rose’s beautiful memories & milestones ritual
- Josh Solar’s post on leaving words of positivity & encouragement for strangers
I can’t wait to see your cards!
Need accountability? Join our #sendcardsspreadlove FB group, where we hold monthly challenges with prizes.
Here’s to sending cards & spreading love!
PS. Know a fellow snail mail lover? Please help me spread the word about Pretty by Post by using the share buttons below.
Click the button below to opt-in to our newsletter list and you’ll get instant access to our free resource library filled with PDFs and worksheets to make it as easy as possible to send cards and spread love.