Make your message really pop this Father’s Day with this DIY pop up card tutorial from Personal Creations. Pop up cards are a great surprise for dad, and they’ll make your gift and message stand out from the others (talk about brownie points)! These pop up cards are simple and easy to create. In just six steps, you’ll have a card he’ll be sure to put on the mantle.
DIY Pop Up Card Tutorial and Printables for Every Occasion
How to Create Your Pop Up Card
What You’ll Need
- 2 pieces of cardstock or construction paper
- Glue stick
- Pop up card printables (or extra paper if you’d prefer to create your own art)
- Art supplies to decorate with (markers, glitter)
Step 1: Fold one piece of construction or cardstock paper in half. For smaller cards, cut the paper to size before you fold.
Step 2: Cut slits at the center of the card. With the folded side facing you, cut two 1.5 inch slits. The paper that is between each of the cust will create a tab that you can then secure the pop up cart to. Create wide or narrow tabs depending on the pop up art you choose. Create multiple tabs if you want to add pop up art along the width of the card.
Step 3: Open the card and fold tabs inward. Crease each tab at the center. They should now be on the inside of the card.
Step 4: Choose your pop up art. Select what will go one each tab by either printing Personal Creations’ pop up printables or creating your own. Cut the pop up art out and glue with a glue stick on each tab.
Step 5: Fold the second piece of paper in half. This is the outside of your finished card. Glue the outside of the first piece of paper. Put the first piece of paper inside of the second piece of paper and press together, hiding the tab cutouts.
Step 6: Lastly, decorate your card! Write a message to dad about how much you love him, and top it with glitter, stickers or additional stationery pieces that you cut out into shapes.
Bear Hug Pop Up Card
This Father’s day, create a beary special pop up card for the outdoorsy dad or the dad who loves adventure. Include a time when you both when camping together, or a funny family memory encountering a wild animal (maybe something a bit more friendly!) What is not included: the bear hug you’re going to give him along with this card.
- I’d be bearly anything without you Dad!
- Thanks for bearing me, Dad!
- Happy Father’s Day to the beary best!
- I almost can’t bear how much I love you.
- Life without you is un-bearable.
Plant Pop Up Card
For the green thumb dad, this card is a great way to show him how much he’s helped you grow. While this is a great one for Father’s Day, this pop up card also is perfect for a birthday, anniversary or even just a thank you message!
- I’m proud to be yorchid.
- Dad, you’re pretty rad(ish).
- Unbeleafable Dad!
- Dad you can’t be beat!
- You’re not just arugula dad.
Pet Pop Up Card
For dads who love their furry friends, make this pet pop up card and personalize it with his pet’s features! This is also a great get well card and happy birthday card for anyone special in your life.
The pet pop up card is a bit different than the others. Rather than cutting slits into your paper, you will fold each of the pieces along the black dotted lines provided on the printables.
- Glue the tail-side to the back of the card and secure the feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue the folded white section on one side of the rectangle. Attach to the the back side of the card overlapping with the back legs.
- Glue the front legs to the other side of the rectangle and attach the front feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue on the head, and your puppy or kitten card is complete!
- I wuf you Dad!
- You’re the best doggone dad in the world!
- Raise the woof, it’s your birthday!
- Not feline well? I’ve got your back.
- You’re purrfect in every way.
Printable Pop Up Card Decorations
If you need a few more elements to take your card to the next level, these decorations are sure to help! We’ve included word bubbles, banners and other designs to decorate both the front and inside of your card.
PS. If DIY is not your thing, check out our Best Father’s Day Cards Roundup.
I’d be forever grateful if you found this post helpful to please share it using the buttons at the end of the post.
Click the button below to opt-in to our newsletter list and you’ll get instant access to our free resource library filled with PDFs and worksheets to make it as easy as possible to send cards and spread love.